Assessment of Attitude and Practice of General Dental Practitioners Dealing With Temporomandibular Disorders and Referral to Physiotherapists
Assessment Of Attitude And Practice Of General Dental Practitioners Regarding Temporomandibular Disorders And Referral To physiotherapist
This study has been undertaken to assess the attitude and practice of General denral practitioner regarding TMD and referral to physiotherapy.
Method and Material:
The comparative cross sectional study was conducted with a sample population consisting of general dental practitioners of mirpurkhas Sindh. The total population estimated was about 55 GPD’s of mirpurkhas district. A convenient purposive sampling technique has been used to collect the data. The questionnaire consisted of three sections concerning general questions regarding referals to physiotherapy, attitude and practice of general dental practitioners regarding Tempromandibular joint dysfunctions (TMD).
The results shows 57.1% general dental practitioners believe 53.1% patients have neck pain and poor posture, 81.6% patients were referred to other healthcare provider, only 22.4% patients were referred to physiotherapist, 28.6% patients referred to physiotherapist just because of neck pain, only 22.4% patients with postural alterations were referred to physiotherapist 53.1 GPD’s have little confidence in assessing, therapeutic decision and treatment outcomes of TMD’s. 69.4% GPD’s provide medical management to the patients suffering from TMD while 44.9% GPD’s provide pharmacological management
This study concluded that there is a need of TMD experts to deal with patients suffering from TMD. There is lack of knowledge regarding Physiotherapeutic benefits of TMD in General dental practitioners of Mirpurkhas, Sindh. Majority of GPD’s have very little confidence in making diagnosis and treating patient suffering from temporomandibular dysfunctions.
Temporomendibular disorders (TMDs), General dental practitioners, physiotherapy of TMD, oral rehabilitation.
2. Ataullah Kh, Ashar A, Mumtaz F, Anees R, Fatima Z. Diagnosis of temporomandibular disorders based on research diagnostic criteria. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal. 2009; 29(2):249-54. http://podj.com.pk/archive/Dec_2009/Article-14.pdf
3. Lai YC, Yap AU, Türp JC. Prevalence of temporomandibular disorders in patients seeking orthodontic treatment: A systematic review. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2020; 47(2):270-80. [DOI:10.1111/joor.12899] [PMID]
4. Hamad R, Se Clark A, Pretty IA. Referral patterns for temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD) in Greater Manchester. Community Dental Health. 2020 April. [PMID]
5. Bogduk N. Chapter 52 Chronic low back pain. Handbook of Clinical Neurology. 2006; 81:779-90. [DOI:10.1016/S0072-9752(06)80056-4]
6. Hoppenfeld S. Physical exam of the spine & extremities. 1 edition. New Jersey: Prentice Hall; 1976.
7. Myers RS, editor. Saunders manual of physical therapy practice. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1995. https://books.google.com/books?id=UVMQAQAAMAAJ&dq
8. Rocabado M, Johnston Jr BE, Blakney MG. Physical therapy and dentistry: An overview: A perspective. Journal of Craniomandibular Practice. 1982; 1(1):46-9. [DOI:10.1080/07345410.1982.11677818] [PMID]
9. Dworkin SF, Huggins KH, LeResche L, Von Korff M, Howard J, Truelove E, et al. Epidemiology of signs and symptoms in temporomandibular disorders: Clinical signs in cases and controls. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 1990; 120(3):273-81. [DOI:10.14219/jada.archive.1990.0043] [PMID]
10. Al-Khotani A, Björnsson O, Naimi-Akbar A, Christidis N, Alstergren P. Study on self-assessment regarding knowledge of temporomandibular disorders in children/adolescents by Swedish and Saudi Arabian dentists. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 2015; 73(7):522-9. [DOI:10.3109/00016357.2014.997794] [PMID]
11. Baharvand M, Sedaghat Monfared M, Hamian M, Jalali Moghaddam E, Hosseini FS, Alavi Alavi K. Temporomandibular disorders: Knowledge, attitude and practice among dentists in Tehran, Iran. Journal of Dental Research, Dental Clinics, Dental Prospects. 2010; 4(3):90-4. [PMID] [PMCID]
12. Lindfors E, Tegelberg Å, Magnusson T, Ernberg M. Treatment of temporomandibular disorders-knowledge, attitudes and clinical experience among general practising dentists in Sweden. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 2016; 74(6):460-5. [DOI:10.1080/00016357.2016.1196295] [PMID]
13. Lee WY, Choi JW, Lee JW. A study of dentists’ knowledge and beliefs regarding temporomandibular disorders in Korea. Cranio. 2000; 18(2):142-6. [DOI:10.1080/08869634.2000.11746126] [PMID]
14. Greene CS. Managing the care of patients with temporomandibular disorders. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2010; 141(9):1086-8. [DOI:10.14219/jada.archive.2010.0337] [PMID]
15. Murphy E, Canavan D. Managing orofacial pain in practice. Berlin: Quintessence; 2008. https://books.google.com/books?id=3taRMAAACAAJ&dq
16. Wright EF, Klasser GD. Manual of temporomandibular disorders. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons; 2019. https://books.google.com/books?id=scGkDwAAQBAJ&dq
17. Cooper BC, Kleinberg I. Examination of a large patient population for the presence of symptoms and signs of temporomandibular disorders. Cranio. 2007; 25(2):114-26. [DOI:10.1179/crn.2007.018] [PMID]
18. Wright EF, North SL. Management and treatment of temporomandibular disorders: A clinical perspective. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy. 2009; 17(4):247-54. [DOI:10.1179/106698109791352184] [PMID] [PMCID]
19. Aldrigue RHS, Sánchez‐Ayala A, Urban VM, Pavarina AC, Jorge JH, Campanha NH. A survey of the management of patients with temporomandibular disorders by general dental practitioners in southern Brazil. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2016; 25(1):33-8. [DOI:10.1111/jopr.12255] [PMID]
20. Truelove E, Huggins KH, Mancl L, Dworkin SF. The efficacy of traditional, low-cost and nonsplint therapies for temporomandibular disorder: A randomized controlled trial. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2006; 137(8):1099-107. [DOI:10.14219/jada.archive.2006.0348] [PMID]
21. Grossi DB, Chaves TC. Physiotherapeutic treatment for temporomandibular disorders (TMD). Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences. 2004; 3(10):492-7. https://periodicos.sbu.unicamp.br/ojs/index.php/bjos/article/view/8641759
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Modern Rehabilitation
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.